On December 23, Exmouth, England resident Angie Collins put her ring, worth £18,000 ($29,556), on a side table and stepped away to manicure her nails. As the BBC reports, when she came back to the room where she left it, Angie saw the ring band on the floor, mangled. The diamond that had been in the ring? Nowhere to be found.
As the Exeter Express and Echo reports , Mrs. Collins, who raises dogs for the Devon and Cornwall Police, quickly came to the conclusion that Jack, an 18-month-old German Shepherd, was the culprit. She told the paper, “He's an inquisitive dog so I guessed that he'd taken a look. The ring was totally mangled so it seemed pretty obvious he'd spat it out and eaten the diamond.”
Angie and her husband, Graham, more concerned about Jack’s health than the loss of the ring, took him to a vet. According to Mr. Collins, they weren’t painted a rosy picture. He recounted the doctor’s words, telling the Express and Echo, “The vet said there was no point X-raying it because the diamond is made of carbon. He said it could get trapped for good in a pocket in the dog's tummy but there was a chance he could poo it out in the next 72 hours or so.” Mrs. Collins told the Daily Mail , “The vet said because a dog’s stomach is so intricate it was unlikely I would get it back.”
Not wanting to give up on restoring the ring her late mother had left her, Angie set about the next few days making sure Jack’s…uh…gifts…weren’t worth thousands of dollars. You don’t want to hear how she did it, so I won’t tell you. Psych, I am going to tell you. Collins told the Daily Mail, “As a dog walker you always keep your pet’s poop in a bag so I took it home and sprayed it with the hose pipe and sieved it every single day - four times a day at least.” Blech.
Finally, on Christmas Day: a miracle. On her third search through Jack’s…uh, eh let’s just say it, through Jack’s poo, she managed to find it, telling the Exeter Express and Echo, “There it was, glinting in the sun.” Angie plans on resetting the diamond and getting it insured.