The Hester family from Chapel Hill, Texas is crediting their patriarch’s snoring for their fortunate escape from a house fire. The family was in bed for an hour that night when Dixie Hester awoke. Her husband, Bobby Hester told KLTV 7, "I use a CPAP machine because I have sleep apnea and I guess I started snoring, and I woke my wife up and she said 'turn on your machine.'" Bobby realized that his CPAP, or continuous positive airway pressure, machine shut off because the power was out in part of the house.
While her husband checked on the circuit breakers, Dixie noticed a light coming from their yard. "She opened the mini-blinds and it was very clear something wasn't right, so we both come out the front door and it was, the house was on fire at the top of the house." The couple escaped the home they built in 2002 with Hannah, their 14-year-old daughter, their pet dog and cat, and a few select family heirlooms.
With a look away from the camera, Bobby was bravely able to say, "It saddens my heart, but after, after a while you realize it's just stuff, and the most important thing is we're still intact." Many in the community have offered help and donations to the Hesters, and several funds have been set up to assist them. It’s generosity that the family especially appreciates in their time of need.
No conclusion as to the cause of the fire has yet been reached however, the family is certain they were saved by the CPAP machine failure. Bobby reflected, "If it hadn't been for that, I don't know what the outcome would have been because I'm a pretty sound sleeper and my wife is, too. But we all made it out safely and that, you know if that's the Lord's way of doing it, that's fine enough for me, you know."
Video and more info: KLTV