The NHL released its top 20 in jersey sales on Shop NHL for 2013, and there are a few surprises.
For example, the name on top: Sidney Crosby.
Now, one might expect the most popular player in the world might lead in jersey sales. But he was third in jersey sales during the 2013 season and third in jersey sales for the first month of the 2013-14 season. In the end, however, it was Sid over Pavel Datsyuk and Jonathan Toews for the best of 2013 at Shop NHL.
As usual, we have a Winter Classic bump, with Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Phil Kessel getting a bump. (Although one images Kessel and Joffrey Lupul might be much higher on the jersey sales list if local sales were taken into account).
But for the general public ordering from the NHL online, here’s the top 20:
1. Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins
2. Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings
3. Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks
4. Alex Ovechkin, Washington Capitals
5. Patrick Kane, Chicago Blackhawks
6. Ryan Callahan, New York Rangers
7. Claude Giroux, Philadelphia Flyers
8. Henrik Lundqvist, New York Rangers
9. Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh Penguins
10. Milan Lucic, Boston Bruins
11. Zdeno Chara, Boston Bruins
12. Joe Thornton, San Jose Sharks
13. Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit Red Wings
14. Zach Parise, Minnesota Wild
15. Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay Lightning
16. Rick Nash, New York Rangers
17. Phil Kessel, Toronto Maple Leafs
18. Anze Kopitar, Los Angeles Kings
19. Tyler Seguin, Boston Bruins/Dallas Stars
20. Logan Couture, San Jose Sharks
A few reactions ...
1. If only we lived in a world where Steven Stamkos jerseys were a top-10 seller.
2. Wonder how many Kovalchuk jerseys they moved before his “retirement” … or discounted ones they moved after it.
3. The Sharks' jersey change seems to have juiced sales for Thornton and Couture sweaters. Seguin makes the list as, we assume, the most popular new Dallas jersey. But, uh, donde esta Carolina Hurricanes players and their re-design?
4. But seriously, how many of those Joe Thornton sweaters had lewd nameplates sneak by the Shop NHL filters?
5. Finally, we'll just go ahead and assume that No. 1,000 on this list is a Steve Ott Buffalo Sabres third jersey.
Any names you’re surprised not to see here?