NFL training camps are in full swing and we're now just four full days away from Sunday's Hall of Fame game between the Dallas Cowboys and Miami Dolphins, the first game of the preseason. NFL head coaches discussed some key injury situations, some more enthusiastically than others.
• Washington Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan discussed the left wrist injury that has been bothering left tackle Trent Williams and the ankle injury suffered by cornerback DeAngelo Hall.
"He’s had it wrapped since he’s come into camp," Shanahan said of Williams. "It’s been sore. He’s been dealing with it for a while but hopefully it’s not too serious."
“He’s just a little bit sore," said Shanahan of Hall. "Hopefully it doesn’t take too long. But they just immobilized it today. He had a walking boot but hopefully it won’t be too long. He’ll be back. With those ankles you don’t know for sure, but knowing D-Hall, he’ll be back fairly quick."
The Redskins also worked out veteran free agent linebacker Nick Barnett. The team has not announced a signing, but have an open roster spot after reserve running back Tristan Davis was placed on the "Exempt/Left Squad" list.
• Buffalo Bills head coach Doug Marrone was not as thrilled to discuss Mario Williams' injured foot.
• NFL training camps officially claimed another anterior cruciate ligament as San Francisco 49ers linebacker Darius Fleming re-tore the ligament in his left knee on Monday and was "waived/injured" on Tuesday. If Fleming, a 2012 fifth-round pick, clears waivers, he will be placed on injured reserve. The injury news in San Francisco got worse when 2012 first-round wide receiver A.J. Jenkins, a non-factor as a rookie, strained his hamstring, Matthew Barrows of the Sacramento Bee reports.
• Rich Cimini of ESPN New York writes that New York Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith has looked good in camp and the Jets' brass may have a hard decision to make on who starts the season-opener.
• The St. Louis Rams announced that they will wear their 1999 throwbacks twice this season, writes Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. It would be nice if the team broke out the old blue-and-white uniforms from 1964-72.
• The Baltimore Ravens made the signing of Vonta Leach official and released linebacker Spencer Adkins with a "waived/injured" designation.
In other personnel notice news, the New Orleans Saints signed wide receiver Tim Toone and placed wide receiver Brent Leonard on waivers. This transaction means the Saints have Nick Toon and Tim Toone at wide receiver, but no longer have Brian Leonard and Jim Leonhard on their roster.
The Carolina Panthers swapped tight ends, adding Zack Pianalto and waiving Nelson Rosario. The Philadelphia Eagles officially placed wide receiver Jeremy Maclin and linebacker Jason Phillips on injured reserve. The Denver Broncos placed center Dan Koppen on injured reserve, while the Indianapolis Colts placed nose tackle Brandon McKinney on injured reserve for the second straight season of his two-year, $2 million contract.