Welcome to First Look, our daily roundup of early-bird news:
• An Alaska woman has been charged with child abuse for forcing her adopted son to eat hot sauce on national TV. (AP)
• Many building in the small town of Mineral, Virginia are severely damaged and not covered by quake insurance. (New York Times)
• The Washington Monument cracked. (CNN)
• Check out the new Martin Luther King Jr. memorial. (Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
• Investors are hoping Fed Chief Bernanke will announce new help for the financial system today. (Reuters)
• Facebook will now allow you to block embarrassing photos. (Gawker)
Have something you'd like to see in our daily First Look post? Email me.