Welcome to First Look, our daily round-up of early bird news:
• The White House is fighting back against false claims its policies were to blame for rolling blackouts in Texas. (Politico)
• A U.S. diplomat in Western Europe spoke fondly of Egypt's embattled leader Hosni Mubarak. (The Guardian)
• New jobs data shows that layoffs are rarer even though unemployment remains high. (AP)
• Carbon monoxide at a Colorado youth hockey game left 54 people ill. (CNN)
• User-generated Super Bowl ads scored the best among consumer panelists. (USA Today)
• An Ohio fraternity shoot-out left one dead and 11 wounded. (AP)
Have something you'd like to see in our daily First Look post? Email me.