Welcome to First Look, our daily roundup of early-bird news:
• The tax cut compromise bill has passed. (AP)
• And it may have won Obama re-election, according to conservative columnist Charles Krauthammer. (Washington Post)
• PolitiFact has named the lie of the year, and it's GOP strategist Frank Luntz's rechristening of health care reform as a "government takeover." (Politifact)
• New Nixon tapes reveal Henry Kissinger's shocking statements about Jews. (NYT)
• Five people charged in insider trading case. (WSJ)
• California adopts cap-and-trade system to lower carbon emissions. (WSJ)
Have something you'd like to see in our daily First Look post? Email me.