Toronto Public Health's investigation into a spate of food-borne illnesses coming out of the Canadian National Exhibition has pared down the cause of the outbreak beyond their previous belief it was generally caused by the cronut burger.
They now say the Staphylococcus aureus toxin was found specifically in the maple bacon jam spread on top of the sandwich.
"New lab results indicate that the maple bacon jam, which is one component of the cronut burger, is the cause of food-borne illnesses at the CNE," Dr. David McKeown announced in a statement.
"We have ensured the contaminated product is not served. There is no risk to the public."
The investigation launched last week and more than 220 people have reported falling ill after eating at the annual fair.
The cause of the illness was eventually confirmed to be from the Epic Burger and Waffles food vendor, which voluntarily closed during the investigation.
Epic Burgers and Waffles is a long-running food vendor that has made a name for offering novelty dishes during the CNE. The cronut burger - a cheese and beef concoction served between two glazed croissants and topped with maple bacon jam - was this year's hottest item.
Toronto Public Health said on Tuesday that Epic Burgers and Waffles were free to re-open, as long as they did not serve the maple bacon jam.
Want to know what news is brewing in Canada?
Follow @MRCoutts on Twitter