Bomb built by 20-year-old Saskatoon man explodes on him

Lindsay Jolivet
Daily Buzz
Bomb built by 20-year-old Saskatoon man explodes on him

A pipe bomb built by a 20-year-old Saskatoon man exploded on its maker last week, badly hurting his hands and sending him to hospital.

CBC News reported police had to call in the Explosive Disposal Unit to Wentworth Crescent in Saskatoon on Friday evening in response to a 9-1-1 call after a homemade bomb exploded in the basement of a house. A second 20-year-old man was also injured, though less seriously, and police searched the home for any other explosive materials, according to the Saskatoon Star-Phoenix.

Police told media they didn't know why the man was building a bomb in a garage, but the investigation continues.

[ More Buzz: Florida woman dangling from railroad bridge rescued ]

Meanwhile, flights are returning to normal at the Los Angeles International Airport after a dry ice bomb exploded in a bathroom used by employees in Terminal 2, according to the Associated Press.

NBC News cited anonymous sources who said the small bomb, which consisted of dry ice placed within a plastic bottle, was designed as a prank. Unsurprisingly, authorities didn't find it very funny: the FBI has opened an investigation into who was behind the explosion.

[ More Buzz: Texas man fakes abduction to go partying ]

The incident delayed a few flights and shut down security screening for a while, but no one was injured.

Another dry ice bomb closed Toontown at Disneyland for several hours in May.

Want the latest buzz before it goes viral?
Follow @YDailyBuzz on Twitter!