Facebook has published a list of the top 40 most shared articles of 2011. The New York Times owns the top spot with "Satellite Photos of Japan, Before and After the Quake and Tsunami," which was shared roughly 600,000 times on Facebook. The second-most shared article, CNN's "What teachers really want to tell parents," was shared 585,908 times.
In terms of volume, Yahoo topped all media outlets, publishing 12 of the top 40 most-shared articles of the year, followed by CNN (10), the Times and Huffington Post (7) and Washington Post (3). The Wall Street Journal ("Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior") had one, too.
Three of the top 40 articles were about Steve Jobs; three were about the new Zodiac signs. One ("You'll freak when you see the new Facebook") was about Facebook itself.
"The stories range from cute to though-provoking and represent the type of news people have been sharing and discovering with friends in 2011," Facebook's Malorie Lucich noted.
Here's the full list, including links to the original stories, via Facebook:
1. Satellite Photos of Japan, Before and After the Quake and Tsunami (New York Times)
3. No, your zodiac sign hasn't changed (CNN)
5. Father Daughter Dance Medley - Video (Yahoo)
10. New Zodiac Sign Dates: Ophiuchus The 13th Sign? (The Huffington Post)
11. Parents keep child's gender under wraps (Yahoo)
12. How to Talk to Little Girls (The Huffington Post)
13. Stop Coddling the Super-Rich (New York Times)
14. Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior (Wall Street Journal)
15. Twin Baby Boys Have A Conversation! - Video (Yahoo)
16. Man robs bank to get medical care in jail (Yahoo)
17. Why You're Not Married (The Huffington Post)
18. A Sister's Eulogy for Steve Jobs (New York Times)
19. Ryan Dunn Dead: 'Jackass' Star Dies In Car Crash (The Huffington Post)
21. Notes From a Dragon Mom (New York Times)
22. A Message to Women From a Man: You Are Not "Crazy" (The Huffington Post)
23. Obama's and Bush's effects on the deficit in one graph (Washington Post)
24. Penn State, my final loss of faith (Washington Post)
25. Golden-Voiced Homeless Man Captivates Internet (Yahoo)
26. The most typical face on the planet (Yahoo)
28. Permissive parents: Curb your brats (CNN)
30. Laughing Baby Loves Ripping Paper! - Video (Yahoo)
31. Epic Cover Letter: How To Get Hired For Your Dream Job (PICTURE) (The Huffington Post)
32. New Zodiac sign dates: Don't switch horoscopes yet (Washington Post)
33. Things Babies Born in 2011 Will Never Know (Yahoo)
34. The Psychology of Revenge: Why We Should Stop Celebrating Osama Bin Laden's Death (The Huffington Post)
35. Where Children Sleep - Photo Gallery (New York Times)
37. Steve Jobs, Apple founder, dies (CNN)
39. Grant Hill's Response to Jalen Rose (New York Times)
40. Steve Jobs's Patents (New York Times)
In September, Facebook rolled out its first social news app to help users discover what their friends are reading. More than a dozen media companies, including Yahoo News, were initial partners.
Other popular Yahoo! News stories:
• ESPN questioned over Syracuse tape; Times criticized for coverage of Penn State victim
• Israel Defense Ministry apologizes for strip search of pregnant New York Times photographer
• Megyn Kelly on pepper spray: 'It's a food product, essentially'