Herman Cain cancels interview with New Hampshire newspaper after barring video cameras

Dylan Stableford

Herman Cain has canceled an interview with the Manchester, N.H., Union Leader after his campaign had placed restrictions on video cameras recording the planned sit-down with the paper.

The Cain campaign said that the cancellation of the Thursday morning interview was due to a scheduling conflict--and had nothing to do with its unusual request to bar video cameras, which the paper had already complied with. "The interview is at a newspaper, not a TV station," a Cain spokesman told the Huffington Post.

In an interview with the editorial board of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel on Monday, Cain stumbled on a question about U.S. foreign policy toward Libya. That interview was videotaped, and the clip quickly went viral.

The Union Leader had originally allotted an hour for its interview with Cain, but the campaign cut access to the Republican candidate back to just 20 minutes. The paper's publisher, Joe McQuaid, pushed back in a move that preceded the last-minute cancellation.

The Union Leader's primary-eve endorsement is much coveted among presidential hopefuls, and this dust-up presumably won't endear Cain to the paper's editorial board.

Other popular Yahoo! News stories:

Press clash with police during Occupy Wall Street raid
Costas praised by peers for Sandusky grilling
Funny or Die launches 2012 election vertical with Mike Tyson as Herman Cain