ABC News is giving David Muir a promotion.
The 37-year-old, who joined the network in 2003 and has been anchoring "ABC World News Saturday," will become the sole anchor of the network's weekend "World News" editions; both broadcasts are being re-branded as "World News with David Muir."
"David is a gifted reporter and storyteller with immense creativity, versatility and dedication to our audience," said recently installed ABC News president Ben Sherwood in a staff memo announcing the move. "His recent reporting from Cairo illustrates his passion for journalism and his exceptional abilities in the field. As he demonstrated last month when news broke of the mass shootings in Tucson, David is a trusted and reassuring presence at the anchor desk."
Muir has become one of ABC's lead correspondents on big national and international stories. He was on the ground in Tucson, Ariz., covering the aftermath of the shootings last month that killed six and critically injured Rep. Gabrille Giffords. He also reported on the protests that ended up bringing down authoritarian president Hosni Mubarak in Egypt last week.
"David breathes clarity and wisdom into all his reporting," said "World News" executive producer Jon Banner in a statement. "His original voice and his ability to reach far beyond the headlines into heart of a story follows in the great tradition of [ABC News] anchors Diane [Sawyer], Charlie [Gibson] and Peter [Jennings].
(Photo courtesy of ABC News)