How many people don't have a clue about what kind of food is healthiest and will lead to weight loss? I'm here to tell you that it's not rocket science. Weight loss always starts with a sensible diet, and the most important part of keeping pounds off and accomplishing your fitness goals is nutrition. Eighty percent of your weight loss success is what you put into your stomach.
Here are some of the most important fat-burning foods, which will help you inch closer to your fitness goals. Making these foods a normal part of your diet regimen, along with a sensible training routine, will help you stay lean and fit.
1. Oatmeal is a great, easy-to-cook fat burner, though it's important to pay attention to packages to see if there's high sugar content. It works well as a fat-burning food because it contains insoluble and soluble fiber. Any food that is rich in soluble fiber will typically improve fat reduction.
2. Plain, old-fashioned chicken breast is one of the best fat-burning foods you could eat. If you have a chicken breast without skin and bone, you're consuming the leanest meat - which is great for optimal fat burning. Always make sure the chicken is very lean with minimal fat. Since breasts are typically the leanest choice, make them the first option when you purchase chicken.
3. Egg whites are another great fat-burning food. The protein they contain is an excellent source of energy, which allows you to burn fat and calories while building muscle. Another health benefit of egg whites is that they're very low in calories, helping you reach your weight loss goals.
[Read: Why You Should Eat Eggs All Year.]
4. Good old brown rice is also a smart fat-loss food. It's a slow, starchy carbohydrate, packed with fiber and essential nutrients. It's slowly absorbed in the bloodstream, which is one of the reasons why it's one of the healthiest carbohydrates around.
5. Fish oil. The best kinds are omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which ramp up the fat-burning effects of your daily activity. Fish oils also increase your thermogenesis, which means you'll naturally burn more calories per day. And they have an anti-catabolic effect that prevents muscle breakdown, along with an anti-lipogenic effect that reduces fat storage.
6. Asparagus is another great fat-burning food. I use it quite a bit when I need a natural diuretic to rid the last water deposits from my body before a photo shoot or competition. Asparagus contains the chemical asparagine, and it is an alkaloid that directly affects the cells and breaks down fat. It also contains a chemical that helps remove waste from the body, which in turns helps reduce fat level.
7. Almonds are rich in omega-6 fatty acids, which aid in fat-burning. Since they can be high in fat, make sure you don't overdo it, and always opt for the unsalted variety.
8. Garlic is another great food that adds flavor to your meals and is a proven fat burner. Alicin, a component of garlic, does a great job helping to flush fat from the body.
9. Tomatoes. They're great oxidizers of body fat and are very efficient at metabolizing fat. Tomatoes also help lower blood pressure and fight certain types of cancer. If you can add tomatoes or tomato sauce to your diet, you'll reap health benefits.
10. Apples are a great fat-burning fruit because they're packed with fiber. The pectin in apples keeps cells from absorbing fat and also encourages water absorption, which helps remove fat deposits from the body. Other fruits with great fat-burning characteristics are oranges, peaches, grapefruit and other citrus fruits.
Hungry for more? Write to email@example.com with your questions, concerns, and feedback.
Obi Obadike is a top fitness personality and fitness expert who has graced over 40 magazines covers globally over the past five years and written more than 100 fitness articles during that time. He is a celebrity trainer who has transformed thousands of people across the world with his online diet and training program. He has a successful fat loss e-book called "Ultimate Fat Loss For Men and Women." Obi is a certified personal trainer and a certified fitness nutrition specialist. He is also a motivational speaker who has hosted fitness and nutrition seminars across the world. His mission is to reduce the obesity rate in this country by teaching people how to eat and train the right way. Follow him on Twitter or like his Facebook page for frequent tips.