Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case

GARY FINEOUT
Associated Press
FILE - In this Nov. 30, 2013, file photo, Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston warms up before an NCAA college football game against Florida in Gainesville, Fla. The prosecutor overseeing the investigation of sexual assault allegations against Winston says it is completed. State Attorney Willie Meggs has scheduled a news conference at 2 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013, in his office to announce his findings. (AP Photo/John Raoux, File)

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — A lawyer for Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston says the Heisman hopeful is relieved he will not face charges in a sexual assault case and now even more focused on football.

Attorney Timothy Jansen said Thursday afternoon he had seen his client after the announcement and he was really happy. Jansen says Winston is absolutely innocent.

Earlier Thursday, State Attorney Willie Meggs said there was not enough evidence to pursue charges in the sex assault case against Winston. Meggs said the woman's memory lapses of the events last December were problematic. She told police she had been drinking before the alleged assault took place.

Winston will play in the ACC championship game on Saturday and if the Seminoles win, they'll play for the national title.