In honor of the scurviest day of the year -- Talk Like a Pirate Day -- we've spiked the Watercooler with grog. Just kidding, but we do have the complete guide to celebrating that will shiver yer timbers.
This year marks the spot of the 10th anniversary of Talk Like a Pirate Day, according to the official website.
[More from Mashable: 30 XKCD Click and Drag Comic Easter Eggs You May Have Missed]
"What once was a goofy idea celebrated by a handful of friends has turned into an international phenomenon that shows no sign of letting up," the site writes.
To celebrate, we've gathered 10 swashbucklingly fun ways to celebrate like a true pirate. We're not only showing you how to talk like a pirate -- by the end of this guide, you'll also look and act the part. Whether it's updating your profile picture, emailing co-workers or DIY tattoos, this guide is the treasure chest you were looking for.
[More from Mashable: Web Designers Weigh in on Twitter’s New Look]
Special thanks to Captain Annie Colbert of the U.S.S. Watercooler for assisting with this post.
1. Talk the Pirate Talk
Obviously, Talk Like a Pirate Day is all about the lingo, mateys. The website gives a good rundown of pirate terms, from the basics to advanced -- there's even pickup lines.
Here are a few terms to know:
- Ahoy!: "Hello!"
- Avast! : A sense of surprise -- stop what you're doing and give it attention. "Wow!" or "Check it out!"
- Arrr!: Never argh, which is a sound of disgruntlement. There are a few things which translates to "arr," such as "yes," or "I agree." It can also be used as a term of contentment, or recognizing another pirates cleverness.
- Lad/Lass: A younger boy or girl.
- Matey: A companion or friend.
- Savvy: A sense of understanding. "Once ye read 'tis guide, ye'll be scurvy pirate savvy.
- Smartly: Do something quickly. "Instagram me treasure smartly -- and put a toaster filter, me matey!