• Home
  • Mail
  • Flickr
  • Tumblr
  • News
  • Sports
  • Finance
  • Celebrity
  • Answers
  • Groups
  • Mobile
  • More
Yahoo
    • Skip to Navigation
    • Skip to Main Content
    • Skip to Related Content
    • Mail
    News Home
    Follow Us
    • US
    • World
    • Politics
    • Tech
    • Science
    • Odd News
    • ABC News
    • Yahoo Originals
    • Katie Couric
    • Matt Bai

    Apple says Mac users mostly safe from 'Bash' bug

    AFP Relax News•September 27, 2014

    Apple said Friday that its Macintosh PCs are unlikely to be affected by the recently discovered "Bash" bug that could hit millions of computers and other devices connected to the Internet.

    Even though the flaw was found in Unix-based Mac OS and Linux operating systems, most users of Apple computers should be protected, the US company said.

    "The vast majority of (Macintosh) OS X users are not at risk to recently reported 'Bash' vulnerabilities," an Apple spokesman said in an email to AFP.

    "With OS X, systems are safe by default and not exposed to remote exploits of Bash unless users configure advanced Unix services. We are working to quickly provide a software update for our advanced Unix users."

    It comes a day after the US government and technology experts warned of a vulnerability in some computer operating systems that could allow widespread and serious attacks by hackers.

    Security specialists say that if hackers develop malware to exploit the weakness, millions of Internet-connected devices could be at risk -- from web servers to PCs to routers, as well as any "smart" or wearable electronic devices using the software.

    Some said the security hole would be more damaging than the "Heartbleed" bug which affected millions of computers worldwide earlier this year.

    Patches were being made available for the flaw, which is also called "Shellshock."

    What to Read Next

    • A ‘rogue’ group of staffers is tweeting secrets from the White House

      2011 messages5%60%35%
    • Wall Street "Poster Boy" Makes A Big Prediction

      Banyan HillSponsored
    • What the US Vetting Process Is Like for Refugee Families

      1 messages
    • Trump defiant, Obama weighs in as travel ban fury mounts

      1403 messages6%68%26%
    • #2 of 10 Most Popular News Galleries of 2016: 9/11: Then and now - 15 years later

      1075 messages5%58%37%
    • Get a $100 AT&T Visa® Reward Card

      DIRECTVSponsored
    • Chaotic Scramble, Confusion for Refuge Families After Trump's Travel Ban

      1 messages
    • Trump fires Justice Dept. head over executive order defiance

      10567 messages6%71%23%
    • J.K. Rowling slams Mike Pence with 1 biblical tweet

      324 messages3%68%29%
    • Megyn Kelly Drops New Year Bombshell

      Hennything NewsSponsored
    • People are boycotting Starbucks after CEO announces plan to hire thousands of refugees

      9431 messages6%70%24%
    • #8 of 10 Most Popular News Galleries of 2016: Deadly attack at Istanbul's Ataturk Airport

      991 messages9%19%72%
    • Chaos After Trump Signs Immigration and Refugee Executive Order

      45 messages3%55%42%
    • Liberty Mutual Insurance

      Liberty Mutual InsuranceSponsored
    • Trump signs executive order to slash regulations

      8035 messages8%65%27%
    • Kourtney Kardashian shared a skinny-dipping pic from Costa Rica, and we love how she OWNS IT

      1399 messages3%66%31%

    Trump expected to sign cyber security executive order Tuesday: source

    Aha!: Of course he'll defend his decision, even if the rest of the world decides that he's wrong, because he's made himself a god, just like the Roman emporers.

    Join the Conversation
    1 / 5

    68

    • Help
    • Privacy
    • Suggestions
    • About our Ads
    • Terms