Hurricane Harvey has devastated southeast Texas, leaving historic flooding with even more rain to come. Those still in the area and those who will be returning home to the destruction are in dire need of immiediate aid -- and you can help.
Disaster relief efforts are already underway with many heroes stepping up, but they need your support:
- Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner established the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund which accepts tax deductible donations for those affected by the dangerous floodwaters.
- The American Red Cross is on the ground in Houston is accepting contributions to aid in providing shelter for citizens displaced by the storm.
- The Houston Humane Society needs your help in order to save the many pets and animals left behind or suffering.
- Food banks, including the Houston Food Bank, Galveston County Food Bank and the Food Bank of Corpus Christi, are in need of donations in order to help feed residents stranded in the area.
- Online crowdfunding organization GoFundMe has compiled a page with every Harvey-related campaign to date, including those created by locals and celebrities.
- The United Way of Great Houston's flood relief fund is accepting donations towards immediate effords as well as long-term services that will be required in the storm's aftermath.
- Global crowdfunding organization GlobalGiving has a goal of raising $2 million for Harvey's victims in need.
If you are unable to give monetary contributions, other effective donations include blood, housing and supplies. You can learn more about those opportunities here.