BAGHDAD (AP) — The head of a committee established to investigate deadly clashes that erupted at a Sunni protest camp in Iraq last week says excessive force was used by security forces.
Deputy Prime Minister Saleh al-Mutlaq made the comments in an interview with The Associated Press on Wednesday.
He was named the head of a ministerial committee set up by Iraq's prime minister hours after clashes broke out between government security forces and some of the protesters on April 23.
The Defense Ministry said 23 people, including three members of the security forces, were killed in the clashes at the rally in Hawija last week.
But al-Mutlaq's office says investigators have found 46 people were killed among the demonstrators.