12:30 p.m. Friday update: The Amarillo Fire Marshal's Office has determined that Thursday's fire that consumed a tire shop was caused by a 75-year-old male transient who was trying to keep warm, according to the Amarillo Fire Department. He suffered burns to his feet while attempting to extinguish the fire.
According to media reports, the fire burned for more than seven hours, and the building was a total loss. Several vehicles were also damaged.
Original story: A tire shop caught fire overnight, leaving the intersection of SE 27th Ave and Ross Osage Drive closed Thursday as crews from the Amarillo Fire Department worked to extinguish the fire.
According to reports, the Advanced Tire Shop, located at 2200 SE 27th Ave., caught fire before 1 a.m. As crews arrived, they reported the sound of propane bottles exploding.
One person was checked out by medical services on the scene for their injuries, but refused to be taken to the hospital.
An Amarillo Fire Department spokesman said crews expected to be there all day Thursday.
AFD had asked the public to avoid the area and intersection at the time.
No further information was available as of press time.
This article originally appeared on Amarillo Globe-News: Amarillo crews battle fire at Advanced Tire Shop at 27th and Ross