MONTREAL - A 12-year-old boy charged with killing his brother is trying to get bail so he can attend the funeral.
The boy was expressionless during a court appearance this morning where his lawyer, Sonia Harvey, asked for psychological help for her client.
She says he's only seen a nurse since his detention earlier this week. A judge today agreed to remand him into the custody of youth protection so he can get help.
The Montreal boy was charged Tuesday with manslaughter after his 16-year-old brother was shot to death.
The identity of the accused and the victim cannot be revealed because they are minors.
A viewing and funeral are planned for Wednesday and Thursday of next week so, the defence lawyer says, a bail hearing is urgent.
The Crown and the defence haven't managed to agree yet on a bail-hearing date. They are typically held within three days of detention, but the Crown is not available Monday.
Lawyers will return to court this afternoon to determine a date.
Authorities have said evidence indicates the shooting was not an accident.
The boy is also charged with illegal possession of a loaded, prohibited weapon. He faces a maximum three-year sentence on the most serious charge. He cannot be sentenced as an adult.
Police say the teenage victim was shot in the upper body with a handgun they said could have belonged to a family member.
The Crown has not provided much further detail about what happened or where the weapon came from. The shooting took place Monday at the family home near Montreal's airport.
Today's hearing at the Quebec youth court was packed with family members and media.