6 Cape Coral residents taken to hospital because of improper generator usage

The Cape Coral Fire Department is urging people to use their generators safely after six people were transported to the hospital.

Since Hurricane Ian passed, the Cape Coral Fire Department has responded to several generator incidents daily around the city.

As of Monday, Oct. 3, Andrea Schuch, the public affairs specialist, said there have been at least four incidents since Sunday.

According to the latest figures, LCEC has restored power to 6.1% of its 88,847 households in Cape Coral, leading to many people using generators for power.

Boil water notices in Lee County: What you need to know as recovery continues after hurricane Ian

Lee County curfews: What you need to know

Flooding help: Hurricane Ian flooded my house. What do I need to do now?

Supplies update: What's open and where to get what you need after Hurricane Ian

A structure fire caused by improper generator usage also resulted in two residents suffering burns and one suffering smoke inhalation.

Two of these individuals had to be transported to the hospital.

An infant and three other residents also needed to be transported due to two incidents of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by improper use of generators.

Generator safety tips

The department is urging residents to keep the following in mind when using generators:

  • Keep your generator at least 20 feet from your home and never run it in an enclosed area including garages and lanais.

  • Make sure the generator is off and cool before refueling.

  • Generators produce carbon monoxide, an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that can make you sick or even kill you if exposure is not caught in time. When running a generator, a carbon monoxide detector is imperative. It can save you and your family's life.

Luis Zambrano is a Watchdog/Cape Coral reporter for The News-Press and the Naples Daily News. You can reach Luis at Lzambrano@gannett.com. Follow him on Twitter @Lz2official.

This article originally appeared on Fort Myers News-Press: Cape Coral fire department warns resident of improper generator usage