Guy Nirpaz is the CEO and co-founder of Totango, which provides a customer engagement platform for software companies.
Selling cloud and software-as-a-service applications is all about driving usage, adoption, and customer success—not about selling. This is obviously true for onboarding new customers, who start with a free trial and will only pay you if they like what they see. It is even more true for existing customers, who will only renew their subscription if they love what you do for them. Below are five tips on how to generate and maintain maximum customer love, in either situation.
[More from Mashable: How to Think Big in Business]
1. Make Customers Love Your Product
Customers will love your product if they get the following from it.
- Tremendous Value: Is your application delivering on its promise? For example, if your app is built for project management, are users successfully creating projects, inviting colleagues, and increasing productivity via efficient collaboration? Also, do you have a workflow in place to increase the success of lagging customers? This approach allows you to improve your product based on what you learn.
- Enjoyment: Just getting the job done is not enough. Your product should be a delight to use. Invest in usability and product design and make your product truly intuitive. How do you know you are doing a good job at this? There's a good chance your customers are on Twitter, recommending the product to colleagues.
- Great Support: Build wizards to walk your customer through how to successfully use your app. If there is a bug, reach out with a solution. Help could be a phone call, e-mail, or a link to a piece of educational content.
- Good Health: Successfully using the application
- Average Health: Using the application, but not at the level of a successful customer
- Poor Health: Not using the application; unsuccessful
- Reason: Why did the customer leave?
- Membership Length: How long were they customers before cancelling?
- Engagement Trends: How engaged were they throughout their subscription?