After a 5-year-old Iranian-born boy — an American citizen — was handcuffed and held for five hours at Washington’s Dulles airport amid Donald Trump’s Muslim-nation immigration ban, White House officials spoke out and said the adolescent may have been a “security threat” to the United States.
The controversial incident took place on Saturday, amid the chaos and protests that sprung up in the wake of Trump’s ban on immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries. The boy, who was not identified by name, was one of more than 100 people detained in the wake of Trump’s travel ban, the Mirror reported.
The plight of the 5-year-old who was handcuffed and detained sparked immediate protest, especially after Senator Chris Van Hollen identified the boy as a U.S. citizen who lives with his family in Maryland. But the case grew even more controversy on Monday when Donald Trump’s administration defended the boy’s detainment, saying he still could have posed a national security threat.
“To assume that just because of someone’s age and gender that they don’t pose a threat would be misguided and wrong,” said Press Secretary Sean Spicer.
"5-year-old boy detained at Washington Dulles International Airport" – https://t.co/XMoy54PNUu
— Craig Rozniecki (@CraigRozniecki) January 30, 2017
As WJLA reported, the boy had been traveling with a family member and his Iranian mother was waiting for him at the airport.