5 hospitalized due to carbon monoxide at NY mall

HUNTINGTON STATION, N.Y. (AP) — Police say five people, including three responding officers, have been hospitalized after being overcome by carbon monoxide at a mall on Long Island.

Suffolk County police responded to a call of people apparently overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning at the Walt Whitman Shops in Huntington Station, about 35 miles east of New York City, shortly after 6 p.m. Saturday.

All five victims haven been taken to hospitals.

Several restaurants at the mall were evacuated as a precaution.

The Walt Whitman Shops consists of more than 80 stores, including anchors Bloomingdale's, Lord & Taylor, Macy's and Saks Fifth Avenue.