Being an American can get distracting. Making fun of absurd American traditions? Even more so. Whether you were basking in the red, white and blue stateside or laughing from afar at such age old traditions as , you might have missed a couple of this week's Mashable features. And that, my friends, is unAmerican.
[More from Mashable: ]
Don't worry; we're back with the roundup of this week's top digital media resources to get you back in the know.
Embarrassed to phone a friend about how to tie a tie or change a tire? There's a Mashable post for that; check out our roundup of 10 Youtube videos that teach some pretty handy life skills. Scratching your head as to why we don't consider a life skill? Oh, we do—look out for our post explaining Tumblr slang and get in on the conversation.
[More from Mashable: ]
Looking to impress your boss? We've got a handful of tips and tricks for integrating social media into your business model that will up your sales and your office cred.
And what is a trip to the Web without a healthy dosage of cats? In celebration of the launch of our newest channel , feast your eyes on Mashable's selection of the 15 Best Cat Memes Ever. You're welcome.
- Connections mean “power” in China. This is why the following five social media platforms are worth watching.
- Celebrated cats of the past have been pushed aside and replaced by their Internet-famous brethren. These 15 are scratching their way to the top.
- When it comes to the sexes on social media, there are a few places where the battle lines seem settled.
- Here are five ways to measure and monitor your brand’s effectiveness online.
- Check out these 15 classic games that will take you back in time, courtesy of your iPhone or iPad.
- The games industry is full of copycats. One company seems to perpetuate more unoriginal ideas than the rest: Zynga.
- There are many Twitter lurkers, searchers, and readers who may never tweet, but still have a great deal of value. Here's why.
- Which TV shows generate the most buzz on social networks? Find out each week from our social TV chart.
- What should Google do to become socially relevant? Here are five things.
- We found some great pics on Instagram that will remind you fondly of July 4th.
- From changing a flat tire to performing CPR, you can learn fundamental skills on YouTube.
- Tumblr is a social micro-blogging site where memes are born. But to get the punchline, you must first understand the joke.
For more social media news and resources, you can follow Mashable's on and become a fan on .
Business & Marketing
- Learning a few little-known facts and limitations of Google Analytics may dispel the notion that it's a set-it-and-forget-it kind of tool.
- Conflicting reports have shown Facebook ads are both an effective and ineffective means for businesses to target their advertising dollars.
- YouTube‘s 10 most-shared ads this month prove that the web will eat up just about every kind of spectacle.
- How to overcome the top three challenges new video publishers face when choosing an online video platform.
- The key is building a following that wants to see your point of view, whether or not you're selling something.
- Here are six ways to create the right type of engagement via Facebook posts for your brand.
- Our Events Board helps event organizers and the Mashable community convene at events in social media, tech, marketing and other fields.
- Social media is rapidly changing the sales sphere. Make sure you adopt these four tips to stay ahead of the game.
- About 3.5 people look up the term "SEO" each second.
- There’s a good chance that big data will change the face of digital agencies in as little as five years. Here’s why.
- We need to incorporate the innovation in education technology into the business world. Here are the principles for making that happen.
- The mobile device requires brand marketers to rethink engagement strategies. Here are four ways to do that.
For more business news and resources, you can follow Mashable's on and become a fan on .
Tech & Mobile
- ABCs and 123s: We’ve found 10 YouTube videos that will help teach your kids the basics.
- Your favorite gaming memorabilia has taken on new life as upcycled products for your home and office.
- Protect your gadgets from all your summer activities with water- and shatter-proof cases, laptop sleeves and device insurance.
- If you're thinking about getting your kid a cell phone, first consider school policy, usage, cost and your child's privacy.
- Check out these 10 iPhone cases for summer.
- NYC sponsored its first sustainability-focused hackathon, Reinvent Green, which brought the local tech community to create green apps.
- Five apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices that feature free or low-cost literature classics and writing tools.
- To get you ready for the 4th of July, here's some tips for getting the perfect photos of fireworks on your camera.
- Much of the U.S. mid-Atlantic region found itself without power last weekend. We've gathered some tips to keep you juiced up in the future.
- Some Apple customers have voiced concerns about the iPhone 4S's battery life, but there are a few things you can do to get more juice.
- These services use technology to help the urban professional run a wide range of errands.
- An interactive graphic by Vizzuality and Hyperakt tracing the entire history of the Internet.
- Games built for iOS appeal to a wide range of people, and that includes kids! Here are some of the most entertaining ones out there.
For more tech news and resources, you can follow Mashable's on and become a fan on .
This story originally published on Mashable .