By: Kristen Lauletti
When it comes to sprucing up our homes, we’ve all had that moment when we realize we’ve bitten off more than we can chew (the feeling usually sinks in around the second coat of streaky paint). But while some novice mistakes are common, we have to wonder what these not-so-intrepid DIYers were thinking.
1. The double switch plate: We understand not wanting to make another trip to hardware store, but come on, people.
2. The roof mix-up: Unless you plan on walking on the roof often, we suggest putting the kitchen tiles in your, ahem, kitchen.
RELATED: 5 Home Items You Should Splurge On
3. The inconvenient cabinets: These drawers seem to be installed nice and snuggly. Too bad nobody will be able to open them.
4. The interrupting tree: These homeowners went so green, they don’t even care if they can’t get to their cars.
5. The wonky door knob: There are rules to installing these types of door handles, guys. They are not reversible.
RELATED: 7 Rug Mistakes to Never Make
6. The missing door: This entry is almost perfect. The only thing missing from it is an entrance.
7. The toilet notch: This is what happens when you realize your measurements were off, but starting over is just not an option.
8. The accident waiting to happen: It’s not a great sign when your weekend project turns into a balancing act.
9. The ill-placed spout: First lesson in home improvement—water and electricity don’t mix!
10. The snowy doorway: It’s important not to forget draft protection when you live in a climate with blizzards.