The Chainsmokers are set to release their debut album, Memories... Do Not Open in a few weeks, so there's no better time to capitalize on the group's momentum right now. Wiz Khalifa decided to do just that, releasing his personal spin on their hit "Closer" on his SoundCloud page.
"Closer" was not just one of the biggest songs of 2016, it's one of the biggest hits of all-time. The track recently tied the record for most weeks in the top 10 of Billboard's Hot 100, hitting 32 consecutive weeks as a top-10 single as of March 13. This news came after The Chainsmokers had already broken one Hot 100 record, as their 27 weeks in the top-five pushed them past the previous record of 25, held by Mark Ronson's "Uptown Funk!" and LeAnn Rimes' "How Do I Live."
Khalifa previously debuted a live version of "Closer" at the 2017 Okeechobee Music and Arts Festival in Okeechobee, Florida, and his decision to jump on a pop smash hit is no surprise. While he came to prominence as a stoner rapper, Wiz has proven his chops as a crossover artist with hits like "See You Again" and recent features alongside Jojo and Tove Lo.
If you're looking for a version with less Chainsmokers in it, you're in luck. Wiz brings his own distinct twist to the song where he touches on lost love and heartbreak. It also features a squabble over his insistence on vaping. If you're a fan of "Closer" and Khalifa's carefree brand of rap, this will feel like home.
- Listen: Wiz Khalifa "Morroco"
- The Chainsmokers Brought Bobby Shmurda to Electric Zoo
- A History of Wiz Khalifa's Streetwear Co-Signs
More from Complex
- Can Lonzo Ball Really Be the Lakers’ New Kobe?
- The Top New Songs You Should Listen to Right Now
- Calvin Harris Shares Behind-the-Scenes Video of Creating Frank Ocean Collab "Slide"
- Soccer Player Accidentally Thanks Wife and Girlfriend During Awkward Post-Match Interview
- Comey Confirms FBI Investigation of Links Between Russia and Trump Campaign