Last summer, multiple versions of Drake's hit single "Controlla" took over the airwaves as well as just about any party that mattered. By now, the majority of us are very familiar with how the single sounds. However, during a recent stop by BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge, Sampha managed to erase all that we previously knew about "Controlla" in an effort to make the track his own.
The Live Lounge continues to bring new and unexpected covers into our lives, but this might just be one of the most surprising covers in a while. Sampha has worked with Drake multiple times—we most recently heard appearance from him on Drake's recent project More Life—and yet, a "Controlla" cover is something we could have never imagined.
Instead of the upbeat, dancehall-influenced record it originally was, "Controlla" gets a transformation into a completely new song as Sampha slows things down a bit with a piano-led rendition. Though the lyrics remain the same, Sampha brings a new mood to one of last summer's huge hits.
Watch the performance above.
More from Complex
- A Boogie Made a Spotify Playlist of the Songs He Loved as a Teen
- Joss Whedon Hops From Marvel to DC, Signs on to Direct Standalone 'Batgirl' Film
- #LifeAtComplex: Who Should Headline Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock Joint Tour?
- ‘Legion’ Murked Every Comic Book Show Moving
- Mysterious Band Mulan Drops Off Groovy New Single "Done."