It was clear 6lack took a lot of time to carve out his own unique world in his excellent 2016 debut album FREE 6LACK. Everything from the striking cover shot with a real bear to the cohesiveness of the project's moody beats were put together with an incredible attention to detail.
That mentality continues in his theatrical new video for album standout "Free."
From a hazy, desaturated perspective fully in line with the album's woozy sonics, 6lack beautifully weaves a predator-prey metaphor into the song's relationship storyline without being over-the-top or corny about it. Like the album cover and everything else about the project, the visuals take us one step further into his fascinating universe.
We can't wait to see where he takes us next. In the meantime, watch the video above and watch him tell the story behind his songs (and see footage from his NYC No Ceilings show) below.
More from Complex
- Freddie Gibbs Makes His Return with "Crushed Glass" Video
- Samuel L. Jackson Brings Back His Legendary ‘Pulp Fiction’ Character on ‘James Corden’
- Sneaker Spaces: Take a VR Tour of Concepts' Store and VIP Lounge
- The Stakes Continue to Rise In 'The Get Down, Part II'
- Thieves Broke Into Nick Young's House and Stole a Safe Full of Cash and Jewelry