Our second Austin location had a big yard, and we used all of it—first, Joey Purp stopped by with SAVEMONEY producer Knox Fortune to kick a freestyle. His appearance last year at Airpnp is the stuff of legend, but Purp somehow managed to top it this time around. He attacked an equally savage Marvel Alexander/Sebastian Sartor beat, ruminating on bulletproof doors and the cheese-headed Green Bay Packers. If the beat hadn't ended, Joey wouldn't have either. The man breathes raps.
Indiana's FLACO came through next—2016's "New Things" was a breakout hit, and his impressive Sleepinginjeans project dropped in December. FLACO's unique delivery was on full display at SXSW. He chose to go a cappella, setting his own pace with a furious one-take freestyle that covered everything from Angela Basset to Canadian cannabis. FLACO is proof that rapping can really be an athletic sport—check out the performances below, and look out for more of our SXSW 2017 videos throughout the week.
Continue Reading On PigeonsandPlanes
More from PigeonsandPlanes
- Nicki Minaj Surpasses Aretha Franklin for the Most Hot 100 Hits by a Female Artist
- Watch Flaco's One-Take Freestyle at SXSW
- Peewee Longway Speaks on Trap Music and Performs in our Yard at SXSW
- Calvin Harris Shares Behind-the-Scenes Video of Creating Frank Ocean Collab "Slide"
- Watch Natalie Portman Star in the Video for James Blake's "My Willing Heart"