2012 — The Year In Music News
PSY arrives at the 40th Anniversary American Music Awards on Sunday, Nov. 18, 2012, in Los Angeles. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP)
No matter how many ways new companies assault the music business' 'business model,' they can't stop the music news! Nope! Listed below are 25 awesome moments of 2012. Some are crucial. Others are nearly important. But it's all news to us! In fact, keep tuning in to Y! Music's Stop the Presses blog if you want to know about things as they happen! Or just flirt shamelessly with Wendy Geller.
25) Van Halen Reunite With David Lee Roth: David Lee Roth's Uncle Manny gave an open slot at his club Cafe Wha? in New York City's West Village one Thursday night to his nephew David and his old pals the Van Halen brothers who decided to give a VIP crowd a look at what the unstoppable, unflappable, indestructible and mighty Van Halen would be up to in 2012, in support of their new album A Different Kind of Truth. Anyone have any idea how the tour turned out?
24) Kenny G's Wife Files For Divorce: Could it be after 20 years of marriage to Kenny G, Lyndie Benson-Gorelick finally listened to one of her husband's albums and realized the sad, awful truth that music critics tried to warn her about for years? Or maybe it was something else entirely. In any case, Ms. Lydia lawyered up with Nikki Sixx's old lawyer Gary Fishbein and went the Tammy Wynette D-I-V-O-R-C-E way. No word on how much she can sue for pain and suffering, but I kind of hope we can all file a class-action suit.
23) Seal Announces Divorce and Releases Breakup Album!: What's the point of marrying a celebrity if you can't get something out of it when you have a new album to promote? Sure, being married to Heidi Klum looks like a sweet deal, but Seal's 2012 album Soul 2 needed an extra push. Using true celebrity synergy, Seal and Klum announced the end of their seven-year marriage just as Seal's new album dropped!
22) Whitney Houston Dies: On February 11, 2012, in Beverly Hills, California, Whitney Houston died at the age of 48 years old. Considering Billie Holiday only made it to 44, Whitney added a few years to the life expectancy of blues and soul singers.
21) Adele Wins Six Grammys: As my father would surely ask, "Why not seven?" ANYWAY, Adele, the only musician making any money, won Record, Song, Album and, uh, Human Being of the Year awards at the Sunday night broadcast, making Adele's 21 to albums what Fifty Shades of Grey is to books.
20) Bruce Springsteen Installs Shiny New Clemons Into E Street Band: Understanding his peerless 'E Street' brand, the Boss installed Jake Clemons, a talented saxophonist, where the late great Clarence Clemons once stood. Jake Clemons got the job through insidious family ties. He is the late Clemons' nephew. No word if Bruce has found a spare Federici.
19) Rihanna Defends Collaboration With Hitmaker Chris Brown: He hit her and it felt like a kiss? Despite Chris Brown still being on probation for his assault on Rihanna three years ago, Rihanna maintained it was her idea for Brown to appear on a remix of her song "Birthday Cake." He, in turn, had her appear on a song of his. Since Brown is "the hottest R&B artist" of the moment, Rihanna felt it was a dandy idea. "It's music, and it's innocent," she told Ryan the Seacrest on his radio show.
18) Keith Richards Apologizes to Mick "Tiny Todger" Jagger: Sensing that his lifelong friend and bandmate may have taken issue with having his private part described as a "tiny todger" in the autobiography Life, Keith Richards apologized to Mick Jagger for any offense he may have taken. "I know some parts of (the book) and some of the publicity really offended Mick and I regret that," said Richards. As of press time, no firm measurements were made public for fans to come to their own conclusions regarding what constitutes 'tiny' vs. 'average'.