You know who's been noticeably silent on the continually escalating situation between Nicki Minaj and Remy Ma? Noted guy with an acoustic guitar, Ed Sheeran. Sheeran, a confirmed hip-hop head, dropped in on The Breakfast Club Friday for a 45-minute chat on a variety of topics including Remy's "shETHER" and his fondness for Nicki's classic verse on Kanye West's 2010 cut "Monster."
"I heard you speak about it and you said it was good for the culture," Sheeran said of the Nicki and Remy situation. Using himself as an example, Sheeran said the simple fact that two artists are inspired to start writing songs back and forth is a good thing. Charlamagne interjected, calling any theoretical beef between Sheeran "and anybody else in music" the "dumbest beef ever."
Sheeran added that he "really really" likes Nicki's music. "Still, every time 'Monster' comes on, I know all the words to it," he said. Naturally, Sheeran was then challenged to rap Nicki's entire verse from memory. The rapid-fire verse proved a bit of a challenge for Sheeran, who missed some words while stumbling his way through it. To be fair, however, dude was going shot for shot (whisky!) with Charlamagne during the interview.
Nicki seemed to enjoy the performance:
Peep the full Breakfast Club interview, including plenty of alcohol and a Jay Z story, below:
Sheeran recently released his third album ÷, featuring the singles "Castle on the Hill" and "Shape of You." Neither of those songs are disses, apparently. During this week's Rolling Stone cover story, however, Sheeran did tease a future project involving "really, really decent" music of the "superpop" variety. "I'm gonna put three or four boys together and do all the songs, take them on the stadium tour with me," he said.
Now please enjoy this photo:
- Stream Ed Sheeran's Third Studio Album, '÷'
- Nicki Minaj Puts Remy Ma on Notice: 'U Got 72 Hours to Drop a Hit'
- Nicki Minaj Fires Back at Remy Ma on "No Frauds"
More from Complex
- Nicki Minaj Squashes Rumors That PARTYNEXTDOOR Wrote 'Regret in Your Tears'
- Texas Teacher Arrested for Allegedly Recording His Students Undressing
- New Miami Dolphins Defensive End Believes the Moon Landing and Dinosaurs Are Fake
- Spurs' LaMarcus Aldridge Out Indefinitely With Minor Heart Arrhythmia
- Drake Announces 'More Life' Release Date