The whole thing arrives like a pretty vibed out, slow-motion take on the original, but Premier flips the whole thing around by the 2:50 mark when he plays off the song's fast paced break. The electronic spin out give us a new way to bump the 2015 hit off Twenty One Pilots' certified platinum breakout album, Blurryface.
"While I was in LA recording with Dr. Dre for the Compton Soundtrack, one of my homies told my tour manager to check out Twenty One Pilots," Premier told Complex over email. "I bought Blurryface and liked it immediately, so I started looking for videos as well. I saw the 'Lane Boy' video and loved the concept of the song and video. It's about refuting the idea that artists should stay in a 'lane' or be defined by a particular style or sound. 'Lane Boy' is the song I wanted to remix. They sent me the stems and said to rock out with it. The Preemix is now official."
The remix arrives right after Twenty One Pilots' big night at this year's American Music Awards. The duo brought home two awards for Favorite Duo or Group Rock/Pop and Favorite Alternative Rock Artist before capping off the night with a medley performance of their hits, "Heathens" and "Stressed Out."
Listen to the exclusive debut of DJ Premier's take on Twenty One Pilots' "Lane Boy" below.
- Watch All the Performances From the 2016 American Music Awards
- Here Are All the Winners of the 2016 American Music Awards
- DJ Premier Talks Working on Dr. Dre’s ‘Compton' and the Nas Album That May Still Come Out
More from Complex
- Naya Rivera Files for Divorce From Ryan Dorsey
- Cam'ron Wants Everyone to Wear His Pink Sneakers
- Carrie Fisher's 'Surprised' Fans Care That She Boned Harrison Ford
- Premiere: Dash Feeds the Fiends Some "Grade A" in New Video
- Surgeon Doing First Human Head Transplant to Use Virtual Reality to Help Prepare Patient