After the 50th edition of Midem, a music industry confab once considered required attendance, saw attendance dip 20 percent following a shift in timing and leadership, organizers of the annual conference are looking to right the ship with the creation of a new advisory board comprised of top executives from across the music industry. The Midem Advisory Board will be tasked with steering the direction of conference on relevant topics to address, and wlll provide strategic and content-related ideas for attendees.
Advisory board members have been sourced from across several areas of the music business, from labels to publishers to talent agencies and international tech companies. The board includes The Orchard founder Scott Cohen, WMG executive Stu Bergen, BMG CEO Hartwig Masuch and Alibaba Music Group chairman Gao Xiaosong, among others (full list below).
Midem is scheduled to take place June 6-9, 2017 in Cannes, and has been given the theme, "A New Golden Age for the Music Industry? Get Ready to Embrace it!" That embrace is meant for streaming, which has emerged as the industry's primary digital revenue source over downloads. The conference wants its 51st edition to explore the challenges of "reshaping revenue streams," and embracing the changing listening habits of consumers.
"Midem is the place where the future of music is shaped, and the board's insight and understanding of the challenges that lie ahead for the industry will be extremely valuable for this 51st edition and our ambition to explore how to make the most of this new Golden Age," commented Reed MIDEM entertainment division director Jérôme Delhaye, who is entering his second year at the helm of Midem after taking over for Bruno Crolot, who left in July 2015.
Attendance at the most recent edition of Midem was down 20 percent, from 5,500 to 4,400 attendees, a dip Delhaye blamed partly on flooding in Paris and the cancellation of the business to consumer (B2C) portion of the overall program. (One of those no-shows in Cannes was keynote speaker Timabaland, who canceled.) It was also the second year after moving the event from the winter months to spring.
The inaugural Midem Advisory Board:
• Stu Bergen, CEO, International and Global Commercial Services, Warner Music Group (USA)
• Prof. Dr. Rolf Budde, President, Budde Music International (Germany)
• Scott Cohen, Founder & VP International, The Orchard (UK)
• Nicolas Galibert, President, Sony/ATV Music Publishing (France)
• Joel Katz, Chairman, Global Entertainment and Media Group, Greenberg Traurig (USA)
• Denis Ladegaillerie, CEO, Believe Digital (France)
• Hartwig Masuch, CEO, BMG (Germany/Global)
• Natalia Nastaskin, Head of US Music Operations, United Talent Agency(USA)
• Jean-Noël Tronc, CEO, Sacem (France)
• Gao Xiaosong, Chairman, Alibaba Music Group (China)