Leonard Cohen -- the revered singer/songwriter whose "Hallelujah" was one of the most covered songs in modern music history -- has died at age 82, it was announced Thursday night (Nov. 10).
Cohen's fellow musicians and celebrity admirers flooded social media to share their favorite songs and mourn the loss of a musical genius.
Below, find reactions from Justin Timberlake, Alanis Morissette, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Carole King, Sean Lennon, Moby and more:
A spirit and soul beyond compare.- Justin Timberlake (@jtimberlake) November 11, 2016
leonard cohen --
- Alanis Morissette (@Alanis) November 11, 2016
RIP Leonard Cohen. Thank you for you dedication to music, & writing one of my favorite songs to sing "Hallelujah". https://t.co/JsTjNmmarC
- Jennifer Hudson (@IAMJHUD) November 11, 2016
"Like a bird on the wire
Like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried, in my way, to be free."
-Leonard Cohen- Lin-Manuel Miranda (@Lin_Manuel) November 11, 2016
We are heartbroken over the passing of Leonard Cohen. Thank you for your beautiful music. #RIPLeonard https://t.co/FRdPEemJpI
- Pentatonix (@PTXofficial) November 11, 2016
Just got word that Leonard Cohen has passed away.
Rest in peace Buddy,i learned a lot about music from you.- Charlie Daniels (@CharlieDaniels) November 11, 2016
RIP Leonard Cohen --------#hero
- QTip (@QtipTheAbstract) November 11, 2016
Kids. Take a moment to listen to Leonard Cohen's song Going Home when you can. RIP L Cohen and thank you.
- benjamin folds (@BenFolds) November 11, 2016
R.I.P. Leonard Cohen
- Carole King (@Carole_King) November 11, 2016
Such sad news...The great Leonard Cohen has passed away. Thank's for what your music has done for humanity... Kindness, love, beauty, poetry
- regina spektor (@respektor) November 11, 2016
RIP Leonard Cohen. Wow. pic.twitter.com/YEhg8dYuvE
- Scott Hoying (@scotthoying) November 11, 2016
noooo Leonard Cohen
--- Pussy Riot (@pussyrrriot) November 11, 2016
Leonard Cohen has died. Another magical voice stilled.
- Bette Midler (@BetteMidler) November 11, 2016
Leonard Cohen R.I.P. 2016 now officially one of the saddest years.
A photo posted by Sean Ono Lennon (@sean_ono_lennon) on Nov 10, 2016 at 5:44pm PST
Dear Leonard Cohen, thanks for the quiet nights, the reflection, the perspective, the wry smiles and the truth #towerofsong
- Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) November 11, 2016
One of the best ever. So sad. Rest with the angels, Leonard, Hallelujah. https://t.co/Um2TYlGjae
- Nancy Sinatra (@NancySinatra) November 11, 2016
R.I.P Leonard Cohen. U are without a doubt one of the greatest songs writers of any generation. THANK YOU for your life. #RIPLeonard
- OneRepublic (@OneRepublic) November 11, 2016
RIP Leonard Cohen. A poet, songwriter and rogue till the end. Hallelujah. @RollingStone @UltClassicRock pic.twitter.com/PWCRqdUQNM
- Paul Stanley (@PaulStanleyLive) November 11, 2016
Leonard Cohen RIP
A photo posted by Slash (@slash) on Nov 10, 2016 at 6:59pm PST
Leonard Cohen was a beautiful soul. All of us, artists or non, should aspire to his sublimely high degree of graciousness, depth and wisdom.
- Okkervil River (@okkervilriver) November 11, 2016
RIP Leonard Cohen. Ugh. It feels pointed, this death. It's making us remember songs like Come Healing which is a good one for these days
- Sarah Silverman (@SarahKSilverman) November 11, 2016
A brilliant Canadian artist passed today. Leonard Cohen, rest in peace. Hallelujah.
- Kiefer Sutherland (@RealKiefer) November 11, 2016
Leonard Cohen is dead. There's a crack in everything. No light yet. https://t.co/PrjhbIjZQd
- rosanne cash (@rosannecash) November 11, 2016
'The songwriter's songwriter'. Another brave and incredible artist passes. Thank you Leonard Cohen. https://t.co/E9xeF5mJ4i
- Zane Lowe (@zanelowe) November 11, 2016
Leonard Cohen dying is so goddamned symbolic right now. You just don't let up, do you 2016?
- Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) November 11, 2016
RIP Leonard Cohen. He got out just in time.
- marc maron (@marcmaron) November 11, 2016
Dear God, no. The darkness just got so much darker. Such a beautiful man, such a beautiful soul. Please rest in peace, Leonard.
A photo posted by moby XⓋX (@moby) on Nov 10, 2016 at 5:58pm PST
Leonard Cohen has died. A different kind of sad today, bless him
- William Gibson (@GreatDismal) November 11, 2016
Oh dear God, Leonard Cohen. Perfect. Perfect. Good 2016. Stay consistent. You piece of shit.
- Jen Nasty Kirkwoman (@JenKirkman) November 11, 2016
"Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act" RIP Leonard Cohen
- Nina Garcia (@ninagarcia) November 11, 2016
The world feels lost right about now pic.twitter.com/PWWKu1qhUo
- Emily Ratajkowski (@emrata) November 11, 2016
Oh god, Leonard Cohen is gone.
- John Cho (@JohnTheCho) November 11, 2016
RIP Leonard #legend #hallelujah
- Jeff Buckley Music (@JeffBuckley) November 11, 2016
Leonard Cohen gone? I didn't think this week could get any worse.
- Molly Ringwald (@MollyRingwald) November 11, 2016
One of my favorite singer-poets. RIP Legendary Musician Leonard Cohen Dead At 82 | The Huffington Post https://t.co/5zKK4tW8iM
- Ron Howard (@RealRonHoward) November 11, 2016
Sad to hear we've lost the great poet Leonard Cohen. I was such a huge fan. He had the most sensual male voice of all time. #leonardcohen
A photo posted by Dita Von Teese (@ditavonteese) on Nov 10, 2016 at 6:27pm PST
"...it's time that we began
to laugh and cry and cry and laugh about it all again" RIP Leonard Cohen :(- krysten ritter (@Krystenritter) November 11, 2016
R.I.P. Leonard Cohen. Hallelujah to the bar of songwriting.
- Rob Thomas (@ThisIsRobThomas) November 11, 2016
RIP Leonard Cohen. "I'll stand before the lord of song with nothing on my tongue but hallelujah."
- Nat & Alex Wolff (@natandalex) November 11, 2016
Adam Cohen, Leonard Cohen's son and producer: "My father passed away peacefully at his home in Los Angeles with the knowledge that he had completed what he felt was one of his greatest records. He was writing up until his last moments with his unique brand of humor."
Robert B. Kory, President of RK Management and manager of Leonard Cohen: "Unmatched in his creativity, insight, and crippling candor, Leonard Cohen was a true visionary whose voice will be sorely missed. I was blessed to call him a friend, and for me to serve that bold artistic spirit first hand, was a privilege and great gift. He leaves behind a legacy of work that will bring insight, inspiration, and healing for generations to come."