Kevin Gates’ wife is asking fans to pray for her husband’s freedom.
The New Orleans rapper was scheduled to leave Florida’s Polk County Jail on Friday; however, the release was scrapped after officers discovered a weapons-related felony warrant from Illinois. A judge ordered Gates to be held without bail.
A day after his re-arrest, Gate’s wife, Dreka Haynes, released a statement on Instagram in which expressed her heartache as well as optimism. She asked fans to pray for Gates and the family, and suggested the media doesn’t have all the facts.
“To everyone that’s rooting for Kevin right, THANK YOU, but PLEASE shift your thoughts, prayers, energy, etc. towards the idea of being home and enjoying life as a free man,” Haynes wrote. “Do NOT dwell on the things that have been put out by the media. Their only goal in anything is to grab/seek attention, not necessarily to release information that is FACTUAL.”
French Montana also shared a message that calls for Gates’ freedom. In the Instagram post, French refers to Gates as his “Muslim brother” and reveals he was one of the first artists to collaborate with the 31-year-old artist—likely referencing his 2012 song “Burnin” with Gates, Chinx, and Akon.
“One time for my Muslim brother. Me and Chinx (rest in peace) was the first dudes to do a feat with this brother before people even knew who he was,” French wrote. “[…] I hate watching the system and all the hate killing us and our brother and killing the people that love us.”
According to The Ledger, Gates waived extradition to Illinois’ Cook County to face the weapons charges. He will reportedly remain behind bars until Illinois authorities transfer him sometime within the next 30 days.
- Kevin Gates' Release From Jail Canceled Over Outstanding Weapons Warrant
- Kevin Gates Is Cooking Up With "Arm and Hammer" on New Record
- Kevin Gates Will Be Released From Jail Later This Month
- Kevin Gates Sentenced to 180 Days in Jail for Kicking a Fan in the Chest
More from Complex
- All the Netflix New Releases for April
- Here's Why Nicki Wouldn't Let Kanye Appear on "Right Thru Me" Even Though He Begged
- All the Releases Leaving Netflix In April
- Facebook Launches Stories Feature in Main App Because Everything Is Snapchat Now
- #LifeAtComplex: An Unfiltered Review of the Steph Curry PE