Back in September, Zayn announced plans to release an autobiography that would show his fans "as much as I can so that you can judge me on my own terms, not on what the press or anyone else says." Today, Complex shares an exclusive excerpt from the book that details his time with Grammy award-winning producer Malay who helped shape Zayn's solo debut album Mind of Mine which reached No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart upon release.
Interestingly enough, Zayn's memories with Malay in the studio center around wine—red wine, to be exact—and the producer eventually got Zayn into drinking it.
From page 118:
“I remember the first time we went into the studio with him, I thought he was a bit of a weirdo. Not in a bad way, I have my fair share of weirdness at times. Malay was just such a strange, unique human being. First off, he started every session by describing some crazy fancy bottle of red wine that he and his buddy Manny (who mixed half my album) were currently ‘really into’. I had barely ever drunk red wine before, I’m more of a beer or whisky guy, but Malay somehow got me into drinking wine. I still don’t do the swirl it around in the glass thing though – I’ll leave that one to him.”
In another excerpt, Malay talks about what it's like to work with Zayn. "Now that he’s getting started, I can only imagine where he’s going to be in a few years."
From page 164:
“Zayn is a true artist. He’s got vision and he’s pretty clear about what he wants to do. It also helps that he’s really creative – he’s always drawing, painting or writing stuff; he’s reading all the time, and it comes out in his lyrics. He’s just forever exercising that part of his brain, and I’m excited to see where he ends up. This is just the beginning for him. Now that he’s getting started, I can only imagine where he’s going to be in a few years.”
We're also exclusively revealing a photo from the autobiography from a two-week camping trip Zayn took in the Angeles National Forest. The image shows a studio setup in a tent. You can check it out below.
Zayn's autobiography will be released Nov. 1 through Penguin Random House and is available for pre-order on his official website at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Google Play, and other online retailers. Read our cover story with the global pop star here.
- Zayn Partners With Versace to Create His Own Versus Capsule Collection
- Zayn Malik to Tell His Life Story in Upcoming Autobiography
- Zayn: On My Own (April/May 2016 Cover Story)
- ZAYN's Debut Album 'Mind of Mine' Takes the No. 1 Spot on the Billboard 200
More from Complex
- 'Luke Cage' Actor Mahershala Ali Stars in Death to Tennis' Latest Campaign
- Kendrick Lamar and Future Are Redefining Reebok's Classic Sneakers
- 'Walking Dead' Star Hit With Public 'F*ck You!' From 80-Year-Old Fan for Playing Negan
- It Looks Like the Las Vegas Raiders Might Actually be Happening
- Watch This Clumsy Dude Accidentally Trash $6,000 Worth of TVs in Insane Video