The reign of Future continues this week in an expansive new interview with Billboard, with the history-making chart-topper reflecting on his recent successes and the unimportance of somehow never receiving a Grammy nomination. The interview, conducted by Jonathan Ringen with photography by Meredith Jenks, also includes more insight on Future's Ciara era and a hilarious exchange about the tainted Trump brand.
"If I'm the biggest artist in the world, cool, but I want to just be me," Future said of the back-to-back success of his self-titled album and the immediate follow-up HNDRXX. "I want my money to be different. I'm not trying to have rapper money. My goal is to be able to get everything from the world that I can get." According to Billboard's Boxscore tally, Future's tour draw is also putting up numbers. His 2016 co-headlining run with Drake, for example, brought in more than $80 million.
But Future is definitely not sweating the Grammys nonsense. "The Grammys, they get what they get—the shit that they don't, it's the shit that they maybe don't want to understand," he told Billboard. "They're not going to keep me from doing what I'm supposed to do as an artist." Part of that artistic journey, Future said, is focused on the vulnerability found in HNDRXX tracks.
"I feel like everything happened for a reason," Future said. "I'm happy with life now. I'm happy with life, period, even with the end of a relationship being..." According to Billboard, Future "trails off" at this point before starting up again. "I'm just not going to settle for anything, you know? Even in my life now, I know I can be a better person. I ain't giving up on myself, so if you give up on me, I ain't got nothing else to say for you. Because if you give up on something that's real, it wasn't real to you." Addressing his attempts to "adapt himself" to the Ciara relationship by cutting back on codeine and weed, Future kept it humorous: "They had me going the cornball route!"
Peep the full Billboard discussion, including Future hilariously clowning someone for staying at a Trump hotel, right here.
- Watch Joey Badass Freestyle Over Future's "Mask Off"
- Rick Ross Links With Future, Jeezy, and Yo Gotti for New Song "Dead Presidents"
- Future Tense: How a Pair of Albums Turned the Rapper From Mixtape MC to Mastermind
More from Complex
- The Gorillaz Drop Four New Songs, Share Details for Upcoming Album 'Humanz'
- Young Thug, 2 Chainz, Wiz Khalifa and PnB Rock "Gang Up" on New Track
- Zayn and Partynextdoor Connect on "Still Got Time"
- College Student Survives 5 Days Alone Near Grand Canyon After Car Runs Out of Gas
- Rising Grime Trio YGG's "Bad" Is An Instant Underground Anthem