Last summer, Freddie Gibbs found himself in headlines as he was formally charged with sexual assault over an alleged rape that occurred in 2015. Facing a maximum of 10 years, things felt rather grim for the popular rapper for a good portion of last year. Thankfully, Gibbs was acquitted of these charges in September and was able to return home to his family.
Since being back home, Gibbs has remained fairly quiet—except for two collaborations with The Avalanches and Harry Fraud towards the end of last year. This week, Gibbs made an official return as he began posting on social media again to announce his forthcoming album You Only Live 2wice is due out March 31. After a scary few months that could have ended much worse, Gibbs takes the time to reflect what he's been through on his latest single "Crushed Glass."
On his latest single, Gibbs opens up about what he went through within the last year. Directly detailing the hell he went through, he raps: "I just beat a rape case, groupie bitch I never fucked / Trying to give me ten for some pussy that I never touched / At a certain level, system tried to test a nigga's nuts / Nigga hire like eleven lawyers, had to level up." The video shows Gibbs alone in the middle of a desert, before waking up from a dream as he lays in his jail cell—perhaps depicting how alone he felt during this difficult time last summer.
Check out the cover art for You Only Live 2wice below, and pre-order it here.
More from Complex
- Atmos' Air Jordan 3 and Air Max 1 Pack Releasing on March 18
- Stephen Colbert Bashes Trumpcare Creators for Refusing to Call Trumpcare 'Trumpcare'
- Nicki Minaj Puts Remy Ma on Notice: 'U Got 72 Hours to Drop a Hit'
- ‘Burning Sands’ Shows The Horrors Of Hazing In One Black Frat
- Jimmy Garoppolo Confuses NFL Fans and Media With Instagram Post About Leaving Patriots (UPDATE)