Wednesday (Nov. 23) on BBC HARDtalk, Donald Trump advisor Anthony Scaramucci made the surprising announcement that Sir Elton John would be playing the president-elect's January inauguration. Scaramucci said that John's performance would demonstrate the president-elect's "commitment to gay rights," commemorating what he referred to as "the first American president in U.S. history that enters the White House with a pro-gay rights stance."
However, today, a rep for John unequivocally denies those reports, confirming to Billboard in no uncertain terms that John will not be performing at the inauguration.
This isn't the first time a performer for the inauguration has been rumored and then denied: Last week, Motley Crue frontman Vince Neil told Billboard that he would be performing at the event, but later went back on that, telling TMZ that "It turns out when the Republicans won, we were uninvited."
Watch Twitter video of Scaramucci's initial claims below:
.@realDonaldTrump transition team member Anthony @Scaramucci says his boss supports gay rights and Elton John will play the Inauguration pic.twitter.com/mEyPZ5ZVZj
- BBC HARDtalk (@BBCHARDtalk) November 22, 2016