Black America Again – Common's 11th album, which follows 2014's Nobody's Smiling – also features contributions from John Legend ("Rain"), Bilal ("Joy and Peace," "Home," "Letter to the Free") and BJ the Chicago Kid ("The Day Women Took Over"), among others.
Common released a haunting video for "Black America Again" in September. The clip, which opens with footage of Alton Sterling killed by police in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, veers between archival footage and contemplative images of grieving black men and women.
The dense, dynamic "Black America Again" blends simmering strings, DJ scratching and chopped, jazzy piano chords. Throughout, Common references Black Lives Matter, Trayvon Martin, slavery, mass incarceration and the Flint water crisis. Wonder appears during the outro, crooning, "We are rewriting the black American story."
Common will host a special event at Atlanta's Morehouse College on October 24th, discussing the prevalent themes and issues that inspired Black America Again. Additional events will be announced.
The rapper recently joined Beyoncé, Alicia Keys, Nicki Minaj, Ms. Lauryn Hill and T.I. at all-star Tidal X: 1015 charity event, which raised money for the Robin Hood Foundation.
Common – Black America Again Track List
1. "Joy and Peace" (featuring Bilal)
2. "Home" (featuring Bilal)
3. "Word From Moe Luv Interlude"
4. "Black American Again" (featuring Stevie Wonder)
5. "Love Star" (featuring Marsha Ambrosius & PJ)
6. "On a Whim Interlude"
7. "Red Wine" (featuring Syd & Elena)
9. "A Moment In the Sun Interlude"
10. "Unfamiliar" (featuring PJ)
11. "A Bigger Picture Called Free" (featuring Syd & Bilal)
12. "The Day Women Took Over" (featuring BJ the Chicago Kid)
13. "Rain" (featuring John Legend)
14. "Little Chicago Boy" (featuring Tasha Cobbs)
15 "Letter To the Free" (featuring Bilal)