Although not as deeply influential or as famous as The Beatles or The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds helped forge rock and roll into what it is today. This English outfit had some big hits like "For Your Love", "Over Under Sideways Down" and "Heart Full of Soul" in the 1960s. And although they left a fine musical legacy behind, they're more well-known among music circles for the work created by individual members after the Yardbirds called it quits.
This is a band that included three members who have all gone one to become legends in their own right: Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton.
The Yardbirds are a no-brainer for a family tree playlist. To create it I included a selection of songs released by members of the band as solo artists, and from bands that members would join after The Yardbirds broke up. The list contains some lesser-known acts like Upp, Renaissance and Medicine Head, but it also includes bands that far surpassed the success of The Yardbirds including Led Zeppelin, Cream and Blind Faith, just to name a few.
So if you're a fan of The Yardbirds, or of the bands that would be formed from their ashes, this is a must listen playlist!
The Yardbirds Family Tree
1. People Get Ready - Jeff Beck
2. Lovin' Up A Storm - Jimmy Page
3. Outside Woman Blues - Jim McCarty Band
4. Cocaine - Eric Clapton
5. Knowing - Keith Relf
6. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
7. White Room - Cream
8. Layla - Derek & The Dominos
9. Can't Find My Way Home - Blind Faith
10. Radioactive - The Firm
11. Back Where I Started - Box Of Frogs
12. Sea Of Love - The Honeydrippers
13. Black Cat Moan - Beck, Bogert & Appice
14. Haunted - Upp
15. Shake My Tree - Coverdale/Page
16. Over, Under, Sideways, Down - McCarty-Hite Project
17. Tobacco Road - British Invasion All-Stars
18. Can You Understand? - Renaissance
19. When Night Falls - Medicine Head
20. For Your Love - The Yardbirds
Follow what Robert is listening to on Twitter.