Video Shows How All the Popular 2013 Country Songs Were Pretty Much the Same
Grady Smith, of Entertainment Weekly, recently released his Top 10 country albums of the year list, and immediately received pushback from fans critical of his decision not to include some big name acts who had massive hits in the last 12 months. So rather than argue with angry commenters individually, Smith created a supercut that illustrated his reasons for not awarding spots to some of the chart-toppers. He followed his instinct, which told him "...so much of what's on the radio these days sounds exactly the same," and made a supercut, featuring some of the commonalities found in most country hits from this year. "Why Country Music Was Awful in 2013" is the result, and it's pretty damning. Some of the trends- Driving to river banks, asking girls to get in their truck (always a Chevy), and calling your girl "girl."
Commenters love the video, and show various levels of agreement or disagreement. One said, "there was a time when country music had a more populist tone," and another wrote, "I can barely get through these 3 minutes."
10. Gary Allan - Set You Free
9. Brad Paisley - Wheelhouse
8. Brandy Clark - 12 Stories
7. The Civil Wars - The Civil Wars
6. Holly Williams - The Highway
5. Kacey Musgraves - Same Trailer Different Park
4. The Lone Bellow - The Lone Bellow
3. Sturgill Simpson - High Top Mountain
2. Lindi Ortega - Tin Star
1. Jason Isbell - Southeastern