Twenty-Five Obvious Reasons to Attend Bonnaroo 2012
In case you were on the fence about trekking down to Tennessee to spend four days having your ears massaged, here's a list of 25 obvious reasons to attend the 2012 Bonnaroo festival. I barely scraped the surface. Rodrigo y Gabriela, The Cave Singers along with surprises galore await you.
Let's get down to the BIG reasons to be there.
25) Red Hot Chili Peppers: Love 'em, hate 'em, but you can't ignore them. New guitarist Josh Klinghoffer apprenticed alongside John Frusciante long enough to be the right guy to keep this obnoxious crew in check.
24) Phish: Will they break out the trampolines or the vacuum cleaners? In any case, jambands were born to play festivals and no doubt these guys will be just what the H.M.O. ordered when it comes time to hang back on the lawn and sway.
23) The Word (John Medeski, Robert Randolph and North Mississippi AllStars): Festivals are a great place to see the unexpected. Too many musicians in one place for it not to happen. Randolph's a mean slide player and with Medeski and the All-Stars joining in, it could get loud and messy.
22) Skrillex: Who doesn't need a little electronic music in their life? The entire point of spending four days at a festival is to keep yourself entertained and variety is the spice of life, say old people who know. If things get too intense, you can always try to pick somebody up at the chillout tent.
21) Feist: Every festival needs its Melanie to encourage us to light candles in the rain and while Feist might not be that trippy, she does provide a relief from all the testosterone. Of course, there should be more women on the stage and we shouldn't have to wait for Lilith Fair to come back to get it. What's the appeal of watching sweaty dudes all day trying to outdo one another?
20) The Avett Brothers: Used to be you had that one uncle who slicked back his hair and drove his classic car to the local parking lot to hang out with his fellow greasers. Nowadays we have nostalgia for things we were never a part of. Fans of churning their own butter and shoveling their own coal will love these guys.