Max Norman got his big break in music when he was asked by Ozzy Osbourne to pick up the production duties on Ozzy's solo album Blizzard Of Ozz, an album that went on to become wildly successful and an iconic release. Ozzy was unhappy with the work of Chris Tsangarides, so Max stepped in from his house gig with Ridge Farm Studio where the album was being recorded.
Max's career was off and running.
He ended up working on many more Ozzy albums after Blizzard and graduated from a knob-turner to a full-fledged producer. Max became known for a big, chunky, clean sound, and he went on to produce albums by many well-known metal acts in the 1980s and 1990s. But none of them would reach Ozzy-level heights of stardom. Old metal heads may remember B-level metal acts like Grim Reaper, Savatage, Loudness, Malice, Armored Saint and Dangerous Toys. These are all bands produced by Max Norman. If you listen to them in a playlist the Max Norman sound will reveal itself.
Max is supposedly retired from the music business, but wherever he is, and whatever he's doing I'd like to say, "Thanks Max".
Produced By Max Norman
1. Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne
2. Symphony Of Destruction - Megadeth
3. Crazy Nights - Loudness
4. Rock You To Hell - Grim Reaper
5. Power Of The Night - Savatage
6. Teas'n Pleas'n - Dangerous Toys
7. License To Kill - Malice
8. Open Fire - Y&T
9. Wicked Sensation - Lynch Mob
10. Angel In Black - Bangalore Choir
11. Can't Get There from Here - Vendetta
12. Long Before I Die - Armored Saint
13. Cool From The Wire - Dirty Looks
14. All The Good Ones Are Taken - Ian Hunter
Follow what Robert is listening to on Twitter.