But what most people don't know about the name "panther" is that it's derived from the big cat genus Panthera, which includes the tiger, lion, leopard and jaguar. So although most people think of a shiny black coat when they hear the word "panther", black panthers are really just black jaguars, or black leopards.
For this playlist I've selected songs by 10 bands who use the word "panther" in their band name. The end result is admittedly mixed, but there are some real under-the-radar gems to be found here.
And isn't this the reason for such random playlists to begin with?
Are there any other "panther" bands I've missed?
1. Just Like Tiger Woods - Steel Panther
2. Action - Vagina Panther
3. Don't Be A D*ck - Panthers
4. Be Yourself - Panther
5. Golden Vanity - Black Light Panthers
6. Go Fast And Go Some More - The D*Ck Panthers
7. Beige Blades- Panther Attack!
8. Pomade and Hand Grenades - The Luxurious Panthers
9. Your Mine - Black Panther
10. Mandrake - Panther God
Follow what Robert is listening to on Twitter.