Chart Watch: 5 Reasons 5 Seconds Of Summer Is Hot
5SOS looks like a boy band, but its sound is closer to power-pop, at least on this single. All four group members play instruments. Lead singer Luke Hemmings plays guitar. The group also includes Michael Clifford (guitar), Calum Hood (bass guitar) and Ashton Irwin (drums).
Here are five reasons that 5 Seconds Of Summer (5SOS to fans) has gotten off to a fast start.
1. Their single "She Looks So Perfect" is an international hit. It reached #1 last week on the U.K.'s Official Singles Chart. It has also hit #1 in Ireland, Australia and New Zealand. And now it's breaking in the U.S.: It's the top new entry on Hot Digital Songs this week at #26 (51K).
2. The group has opened for One Direction, the reigning boy band, and Hot Chelle Rae, whose "Tonight, Tonight" (#7 on the Hot 100 in summer 2011) was fizzy good fun.
3. The song's video has broad appeal. It features many characters, of all body types, taking their shirts off. "I love how they don't just use perfect people," one fan commented at YouTube.
4. There's always demand for new acts in the teen pop world. One Direction's first hit, "What Makes You Beautiful," came out a little more than two years ago. Justin Bieber's first hit, "One Time," came out nearly five years ago. That's an eternity in teen pop terms.
5. After a long, cold winter in much of the U.S., a name like "5 Seconds Of Summer" has undeniable appeal.
5SOS is the third band from Sydney to reach the top five, following AC/DC, which has had seven top five albums, and INXS, which had two.
The group's EP sold 108K digital copies, which puts it at #1 on Top Digital Albums.
"Frozen" has been #1 for four consecutive weeks. It's the first album to notch four straight weeks on top since Taylor Swift's "Red" was #1 the last four weeks of 2012.