I sure do use Pitchfork a awful lot for a guy who likes to rip on them regularly. When it comes right down to it, 95% of what I find on Pitchfork is dead on. It's the other 5% that I find unbearably pretentious. But it's easy to find fault with any music publication because it all comes down to opinion. And debating an opinion is one of the most ridiculous things we do as human beings. What I've learned in my many years as a certified music fanatic is that if something helps you discover great music, STICK WITH IT. Whether it's the suggestions of a friend, a Tweets from a respected peer, a song in a movie soundtrack, or reviews on a site like Pitchfork.
Today I visited Pitchfork's top rated album page, which includes only albums that have scored 8 or more on a scale of 1 to 10 according to their critics. I took a single song from 10 of these albums to compile this playlist.
I love it.
Even if I hate to admit it.
The list includes your standard alt/indie pop, but also includes some drone ambient and even black metal. Good is good, and that's all I require in my music.
What' you're current top rated album?
Songs From Albums Currently Rated By Pitchfork As 8.0+
1. Simple Song - The Shins
2. Up On High - Daniel Rossen
3. All Down - Feedtime
4. Turn It Around - The Men
5. Normal Song - Perfume Genius
6. Chocolate - Tindersticks
7. 2b2 - Lambchop
8. Interstellar - Frankie Rose
9. When Gods Leave Their Emerald Halls - Drudkh
10. Two Views of the New Zealand Landscape - Azusa Plane
Follow what Robert is listening to on Twitter.