If the first day of our month-long Yahoo! On the Road series is any indication of the greatest to come, we are in excellent shape. Friday morning started with our host Ben Lyons having cupcakes with the GMA Live morning crew and ended with Grammy award winning John Legend performing a spectacular show at New York’s United Palace Theatre. Get more details and other highlights from the day in the recap below:
1) As if John Legend isn’t already miles ahead of his fellow male soul contemporaries, he broadened his lead Friday, playing a full set with the Salomé Chamber Orchestra at New York’s United Palace Theatre. “This is the first time we’ve done something like this,” he said, 17 minutes into his one-hour-and-15-minute set. The synergy was spot on as they accompanied him on his already easy, sweet classics “Where Did My Baby Go,” “Again,” and especially “Good Morning” and “Ordinary People.” The latter actually felt much like the original. The attentive audience listened in near silence, save several women who could not resist shouting their love for Legend during quite moments.
2) Props to Yahoo! On the Road host Ben Lyons, who sat down with the GMA Live team to discuss the road show. But check out his sophisticated, media swag – he brought cupcakes to add some spice to the talk about Yahoo!’s cool new mobile weather app. Lyons was quick on his feet when asked what he thought about Y!’s signature color purple, he quipped, “It’s a strong color. It brings out my cheekbones. I like it.” Tell ‘em Ben. Rosy cheeks are so 2000.
3) Yahoo! On the Road’s house DJ JonNY Famous is a class act. During his hip hop set between Ryan Leslie and John Legend’s shows, he slipped in a an oldie-but-goodie – Kris Kross’ “Jump.” It was comforting to hear this 1992 classic just three days after group member Chris “Mac Daddy” Kelly died of a reported drug overdose, and many in the building paid their respects. But not too many people adhered to the song’s call-an-response chorus, “jump jump.” However, when our Famous turntable spinner played Baauer’s “Harlem Shake,” the New Yorkers went wild. Can. You. Say. Shaaaaaady?
4) “The Office” actor Craig Robinson, who stars in the new Lions Gate film “Peeples,” teamed up with Yahoo! On the Road in New York’s Murray Hill to have some fun at yogurt shop 16 Handles. Mr. Robinson was in rare form and was completely willing to make fun of himself as well as the eatery’s unassuming patrons. Fortunately, the Yahoo! On the Road cameras were rolling, so we got all of his antics documented recorded. Stay tuned for the launch of the web series.
5) Producer extraordinaire and recording artist Ryan Legend warmed up the audience for Legend at the Yahoo! On the Road concert Friday. The beat maker who has worked with Mary J. Blige, Chris Brown and Britney Spears, delivered a four-song hip hop set. I love his pompous lyric, “You know what college I went to. I’m so smart.” The dude did graduate from Harvard when he was 19 and scored a perfect score oh his SATs. You can’t be mad at him.
For more Yahoo! On the Road tour artists, locations and dates, check the calendar at: http://music.yahoo.com/on-the-road/schedule/