Ebony Banks, a senior at Alief Hastings High School in Houston, had one big wish.
Banks, a member of the color guard who is known to friends as "Ebob," hasn't been in school much this year. She's fighting Stage 4 cancer, and her condition was serious enough that the school had to hold a special graduation ceremony for her at a local hospital. But through it all, Ebony wanted to meet her hometown hero, Beyoncé. (For context, Banks is a big enough fan that one of her friends recalled the teen "crying like somebody in her family had died" when she got Bey tickets).
"She is a really big fan of [Beyoncé] and she has so much love for her that we really want to get [Banks] to meet her," fellow senior Cristal Depaz told a local ABC affiliate. So Banks' friends started the hashtag #EBOBMEETSBEYONCE, and it actually got some traction—lots of retweets and some area press coverage.
Dobbyn ( @ChristineDobbyn) March 20, 2017
And things probably would have ended there, except that this is Beyoncé we're talking about. So just days after the story started to pick up, Banks' wish came true on Wednesday when Bey FaceTimed her. You can see video from the conversation above.
Banks' community, and of course Beyhive members around the world, were moved by the conversation.
@TiffanyForAlief) March 23, 2017
@MrMoralesband) March 23, 2017
I didn't really know her but this makes me really happy for her ❤️#ebobmeetsbeyonce pic.twitter.com/BvGJn7cR3d— Paola Meza ( @Mezaaaaaaaaaa) March 23, 2017
Banks' high school was thrilled as well, and thanked everyone who made Banks' dream come true.
@AliefHastingsHS) March 22, 2017
- This is What Happens When Beyonce Gives The Mic To Fans [Video]
- Four Intimate Nights With Beyonce At Roseland Ballroom (Behind-The-Scenes Pt. 1)
- Beyoncé and Jay Z Are Having Twins
More from Complex
- SAINt JHN Talks Album Plans and Performs "3 Below" at SXSW
- Someone Tried to Use Lionel Messi to Disguise an $85 Million Shipment of Cocaine
- New Balance Proves You Can Still Make Sneakers in America
- Drake and Makonnen's Rocky Relationship, Explained
- Here's Proof LeBron Makes the Cavs Better When He Calls Them Out